From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:42:08 EDT
Hello All.

WE HAVE POWER!  I was doing the We have power dance in the driveway today
along with the rest of our neighborhood.  Went in and danced with the
ferrets -- they loved it.  Took it about 2 hours to cool down in the
house but we have air conditioning.  Twelve days without air conditioning
in Florida does weird things to people and animals.  Ferrets were very
disappointed that they did not get to take showers today.

It's 6 days and counting till the insurance people come.  The back of the
house looks like some drunk with duck tape and air conditions conduit
tape went nuts (a hint here, first tape the breach with duck tape and
then get air conditioning duct conduit tape and tape over that it hold a
seal and will not let water in.

Due to rain today or tomorrow so we will see how bad the roof is.  Ferret
room, one bedroom, the bathroom seem to be O.K.  Not sure about the rest
of the house and of course the screened ferret play porch is a complete
wreck.

The inside of the house looks like a Hurricane came through.  I won't let
anyone in the house they would trip over coolers or furniture of stuff
packed in hundred of box's.

Ran around procuring food today and some MRE's at the fire station.
Am going to the grocery store tomorrow and get Milk, bread other
necessities.

Countryside the mobile home community I live in has been great.  In the
last 10 days they have picked up debris cut down the trees in the road
and our community looks better than anyone else's; well maybe not the
two houses across the street have no roofs at all and they a demolished.
Each day we see, fiberglass insulation and aluminum from the house's that
people put out on the road.  Larry is going to ask the man across the
street if we could have a couple of his shutters as they are the same
color as the ones on our house -- and we lost a couple of those.  We
think he will let us have them after his insurance people come -- his
home is a total loss.

Some of the people in our neighborhood (average age is like 75) just
couldn't take it anymore and went to find hotels because of the heat.
They were delighted when they came home today and there was air
conditioning.

Picking up the ferrets from the Humane Society tomorrow, 5 in all.  Lots
of people did not act smartly and left their dogs tied up outside, or let
their cats out during the storm.  Debbie House and I did animal patrol
today and also went to a horse farm to help some very skittish horses.

Sad to say the groves along our runway are a total loss with the
Grapefruit.  Some oranges still remain.

Have loads and loads and loads of wash to do for the ferrets -- use to be
a chore -- now it's a blessing.

I am going to e-mail thank you notes to all of you who have donated money
and articles to us and continue to do so.  It will be a couple of weeks
as I have to get the house in order and the new ferrets to the vet and
then see what IVAN does and what support I can give there.  Will have to
coordinate things for IVAN as I cannot be on site due to the damage at
home and Citrus Grove Aviation, Inc.  due to Frances.  We are talking to
our creditors and asking for 30 day extensions till we can get on our
feet again and get help from FEMA.  It looks very possible that we will
qualify for the 3% government loan.

Well, that's all for now, I'm using someone else's computer till I can
get my back over to the house and up, don't want to put it back in the
spare bedroom until I know that is a safe area.

We still need your help so contributions can go to paypal to Agedog1
or by snail mail to the below address.  I am so saddened that I have to
ask -- usually I can do this on my own -- how embarrassing this all is.

Pray for those who are in the path of IVAN.

Chere McCoy
Ferret Friends of Indian River County
8775 20th Street, lot 614
Vero Beach, FL    32966-3065