From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:36:32 EST
>Do ferrets have a tendency to try and jump from areas higher than is
>safe or get so busy playing they don't notice they could fall?

Ferrets seem to be somewhat nearsighted and will often launch themselves
from anything.  My son, many years ago, had two ferrets in a second floor
apartment.  The apartment had a balcony with wide (for a ferret anyway)
spacing between the rails.  Both managed to jump.  Fortunately the soil
below had recently been tilled, so was soft and they were none the worse
for wear.

A friend with a similar situation to what you are describing had
Plexiglas put in along the railings to keep them from that fate.

Dick Bossart
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter
For a copy of my "Ferret Owner's Manual" go to http://www.4lilpaws.org