From:
"Carl.Baewer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 22:33:29 -0500
Hello ferret friends of the FML,

To jump right into my question without further ado.  I own 4 Marshall farm
ferrets, one of them, my oldest had to have an adrenal operation 2 years
ago, at this time I had ask my Vet how many adrenal disease operations he
has done, the answer was only 2 during his whole term as a vet.  ( he has
been a vet for over 4 years, however my ferret made it 3 ).  Now the big
question, the ferrets being sold, per the ferrets being brought to a vet for
adrenal operations doesn't fit.  If you go into any one of these super pet
stores, and ask how many ferrets they sell a month or even a year, then ask
a vet how many he has cared for over that same term, the numbers don't come
out right!

After moving up north in Wisconsin, to the Fox valley area, one of my 4
ferrets now needs an adrenal operation, I called a few Vets in the area, and
it's the same, very few do or ever have done adrenal operations.  ( I have
since found one ) but the point being, I am on the understanding that most
female & Male ferrets sooner or later will need the adrenal operation, ( not
all of them, but a good percent will ).  And if these ferret owners are not
taking there ferret to the vet when there sick, and in the Fox Valley very
few are turned in to the local humane ( I checked ) Then where are they
going ?  To support this, just call a "few" of your bigger pet stores, tell
them your interested in buying a ferret, and you want to know how many they
sell a month, then "Times" that by 12, now call up a few vets, even a vet
that does care for ferrets, and ask them how many people have brought there
ferrets in for the adrenal operation, in fact any operation.

For those of you who do call, please post your results on the FML for all to
see!  Also is there any proof at all that supports the idea that Marshall
Farm ferrets get adrenal disease because they operate on them to early, if
so I would sure love to have that information.

Best regards

Carl Baewer <[log in to unmask]>