From:
"Barry L. Brumitt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 12:09:12 EST
After my local vet agreed with my likely diagnosis of Adrenal tumors, he
informed me there was little to be done.  Perhaps linatone and 12 hour
light/12 hour dark cycles would be helpful.  Doubting this wildly, I checked
around the net (including here) and the strong consensus was that Dr.  Tom
Kawasaki in Woodbrige, VA is the God of treating ferrets.  Her signs of
problems were increasing hair loss and an enlarged vulva.

So, I spoke with him on the phone about Up (6-7?  years old, sable,
convenience kit rescued from someone who "didn't want her anymore"), and a
few weeks later (when I could take a weekend plus a Friday off easily),
drove the 4.5 hours (260 miles) from Pittsburgh to Woodbridge, VA.  He was
more than accommodating, understanding my inability to easily arrive at 8am.

I arrived at about 11, and saw Dr.  K shortly thereafter.  He was hosting a
couple of high school students interested in veterinary medicine, so they
hung around much of the time.  He did a good physical and we discussed the
reasons for the surgery and the risks (about 1/10 die in the 48 hours
following the surgery for reasons currently unknown - clots forming which
move to the lungs being a likely candidate).  He said he would look for
Pancreatic tumors as well, even though she showed no signs of being tired or
walking poorly.

He also quickly diagnosed a degenerative retinal disease (which I cannot
recall the name of), due possibly to a Taurine deficiency in her diet.  I
had been feeding her Iams Adult Cat Food.  If you're using that, consider
Taurine supplements perhaps available from your Vet.  Surprisingly, Up is
almost completely blind, though, frankly, she can chase cats, find her
favorite hiding spots, and so forth with no troubles, so it's not
functionally that serious!  Amazing.

We went back to surgery where anethesizied Up (his Son, actually gave the
anesthetic under Dr.K's supervision), drew some blood for a Glucose test
(about 25% of the time useful for detecting blood sugar problems, and
therefore a good indicator of pancreatic (insulin producing) tumors).  The
glucose came back negative.  He also had an x-ray taken to check for an
enlarged heart, which sometimes can cause/be correlated to adrenal problems.
None found.

He and his assistant gowned, masked began the surgery.  (Gorey details
follow, you have been warned).  She was laid on her back, covered with a
sterile cloth, and the cloth was clamped in place along a slit in it,
exposing Up from sternum to crotch.  He made first an incision through the
skin.  I was shocked at how LITTLE blood showed up -- nearly none.  He then
lifted up on the abdominal wall, made a quick puncture, and then performed a
second incision all the way down the length of the first one, exposing her
intestines, etc.  He then looked around the inside of her abdomen, pulling
up the skin.  I was surprised that the intestines aren't really attached to
the skin at all -- they're just laying in there!  The intestines and spleen
(huge!  I thought it must be the liver when it first came out) were pulled
out from the abdominal cavity, and laid on her side!  They worked very
quickly and efficiently, though stopping to explain and talk about what was
going on.

They first looked at both adrenals, confirming that, while the right one
looked normal, the left was quite enlarged.  He then felt the left lobe of
the pancreas, and found an above average size tumor.  A slit was made in the
pancreas, and the tumor (looked like a REALLY TINY but solid B-B) removed.
His assistant (who has "better fingers") actually did the checking for the
tumor.  They moved to the right lobe of the pancreas, and found a small
tumor there was well.  It was harder to get to, almost underneath
everything, but with a little work they got that out as well.  Whenever
switching sides to work on, all the intestines and spleen would be "flopped"
from one side to the other.

The left adrenal was removed quickly, though it seemed a harder process, as
a vein had to be clamped and then stitched shut.  The adrenal tumor was
quite large.  I was impressed by Dr.K's ability, though I have little to
compare to.  He was evidently quite dextrous and practiced with the surgical
procedures which he was performing.  He mentioned that most vets will never
perform this surgery, even though he does many.

The intestines/spleen were replaced, and the abdominal incision sutured.
The skin was similarly stitched up.  They called me back once she awoke from
anesthetic.  She was kind-a unhappy, understandably!

The next 24 hours were tense, as I called every 6 hours or so to get
updates.  Her temperature stabilized a little low and she was a bit
lethargic, which worried them, but by the second evening (30 hours
afterwards), things looked pretty good.  I picked her up Sunday afternoon
and brought her home.  She's on Pepto-Bismal and Amoxacillin (antibiotic)
for Stomach Ulcers, a common Post-Op side-effect.  If your ferret has
surgery, Dr.K strongly recommends treatment with those afterwards, excepting
Spays and other "straightforward" problems.

I'd like to thank people from FML who helpfully responded with information
regarding Dr.K and other east coast vets -- it was all much appreciated.
I'd also like to thanks Dr.  Kawasaki and his staff for their excellent
service; I only wish he was located more closely to me!

Barry Brumitt and 'Up'

ps. Disclaimer: Apologies for medical inaccuracies in this document. I'm an
engineer, not a medical worker. (Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor Not a miracle
worker!) Talk to your vet before taking any of the above as advice. Better
yet, have them call Dr. Kawasaki. 703-690-2580