From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 13:51:42 -0800
Ok, I see the point here, but lets not get out of hand.

I have also come across animal pelts listed as ferret/mink/weasel in my
searches on Ebay.  And it is disturbing.  Heck, even here in my home town,
at the thrift stores, they sell discarded furs, coats, collars, etc.
Once, I was "leafing" through the coats with my boyfriend, and slide a
hanger aside to reveal two little weasely faces staring back at me.  I
sqealed.  The worst part was that they SMELLED weasely, like my babies.
Yes, this is disturbing.  Yes, it bothers me.  And yes, Ebay sellers
should be held to a high standard of properly representing their items.
Of course this isn't a ferret pelt, and I don't want to see it.

But lets look at this objectively.  Animal furs ARE a sellable item.  As
has been proven by those pelts in question having been sold.  Taxidermy
is also alive and well in this country.  "Decent animal loving folks" all
over the world also wear leather.  I love my ferrets very much, but my
shoes are Birkentstocks with leather straps.  Should Ebay be expected to
remove all fur AND leather items from their listings?  My boyfriends
cowboy hat is felt made from beaver fur.  Should items such as that also
be removed?  While we are at it, how about we demand that they not be
allowed to sell steak knives or grills, which MIGHT be used to cook meat.