Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 16:50:19 -0500
Hi!  I haven't been on here for several years but now I have some
questions I need answered.  I have a 6 1/2 year old female named Greta
who had her left adrenal gland removed when she was 2 1/2 years old.
Now she is showing clear signs of adrenal problems again.  Her fur is
thinning with bald patches on her chest, tail, and between her shoulder
blades.  Her vulva is swollen with a discharge.  She runs around with
her nose under the two boys tails and is constantly grooming them and
following them everywhere.

The vet has her on Lysodren for the past two weeks now.  My concern is
that her vulva gets crusted over and she has difficulty peeing, so I
remove the crust, but I can tell that causes her pain (not to mention
when she pees after that!).  Is there anything I can put on there that
will help?  Also, her skin is very flakey with small scabs, probably from
scratching.  What can I put on her skin to help the dryness and itching?

Thanks for any advice.  She is an absolute sweetheart of a ferret and I
feel bad that she is going thru this.  I want to do whatever I can to
make her more comfortable.  You can e-mail me privately if you want, at

Barb, with Bailey, Yogi and Greta