From:
David Caudill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 1996 21:21:53 +0100
Hi,
Well, Screamer (the mink) is back in her natural environment.  Kelleen came
and got me to help release her(him?).  We went down to the river area where
we were told it was best to release her.  We searched, and searched for just
the right place.  We wanted it away from people, near a calm part of the
river, and in an overgrown area.  Eventually we spotted this big island.  I
happened to notice a big log going over part of the river to the island.
Kelleen and I looked at the log.  Then we looked at the river.  We again
looked at the old, fallen down log.  Kelleen took off her shoes, hiked her
pants up and went down to try to wade across the water.  I looked at
Screamer and said, "Now you will get to hear a human scream!" Kelleen shot a
killer glance at me.  I just smiled back.  Kelleen then stuck her foot into
the icy, cold water...then looked back up at me and said, "Why don't we try
the log...?"

Well, once across the log (hearts not in as good shape as before), we made
our way to the center of the island.  There we opened the cage door and
waited.... Screamer needed a small nudge to get her going, but once she was
out - she was off like a flash!  Well, hopefully Screamer will be happy in
her new home.  We only knew her a short time, but she will be missed.

Oh, by the way - Kelleen got to meet her first crawdad on that island.  And
yes, we got back across the log without incident (although going back was
worse than the original crossing...).  We feel very proud of our efforts
today and wish Screamer the best of luck back in her natural enviroment.

    David Caudill ----  [log in to unmask]