From:
Stephenie Baas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:22:15 +0200
Tony wrote
>I am quite sure that there must be some thing totally wrong with ferrets
>in the USA as none of my ferrets over the past 30 have had any problems
>with fur ball or the need for the use of ferret laxatives.

To my knowledge I also have never had a ferret with a fur ball, that dose
not mean only ferrets in the USA get them, I know plenty of people here
in Holland who's ferrets have had a fur ball, even people who have always
given their ferrets, lax, But as I said, "to my knowledge."  It has only
been the last 15 years or so that I have asked my vet to do a necropsy
if I don't know why my ferret under the age of 10 years old died

Tony writes
>Please contact me I can be of any help, I am not a vet and in the past
>30+ years none of my animals have visited my vet for anything other than
>routine check up.

Please tell me Tony, how can you possibly know what your ferrets die from
if they never visit a vet for anything other than a routine check up.  If
they have a check up and all is well, then one dies 6 moths later, don't
you ever wonder what it died from?  Or do you just blame everything on
old age?  or shrug you'r shoulders and say "thats life"  Was the ferret
old, or did she have Aplastic Anemia from being in heat too long ,?  Was
the next ferret old, or did it have a blockage from a fur ball ?  How do
you know?  How you look after your pets is your business.  But I don't
think you have the right to point fingers and say that there is something
wrong with the ferrets in America just because you think there is nothing
wrong with yours.  Have a heart Tony, People there love their ferrets
and take the time and trouble to go to a vet, when they see something is
wrong and it's not very nice to point fingers when there is something
wrong.  As you say, you are not a vet, I have been around ferrets for
going on 50 years, But I am still learning, We all are, that is what this
list is for, Its fine to ask question, but please do not think you know
it all.

Stephenie
Netherlands