From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:45:15 -0500
Sometimes the greatest gift......

In this the merriest of seasons for many of us who hold and love older
ferrets it is a tough time. Many of them are weary, ill and hanging on
to life-- a mere shadow of what they once were. And for the humans that
care for them. it is a painful and teary time.

I realize there are a few folks out there who need this post today. I
have shared these days over the course of my ferret years with far too
many ferrets -- but I have learned some valuable lessons along the way.
Something I wish to share for those who may walking these same steps
whether this be the first time - or one of any number.

How do we know when it is time- time to say goodbye or time to give
permission? This time is the longest hour and the hardest part of
the journey for ferret care givers. To recognize the reality of life
passing and to release the ones we love so dearly. It is a difficult
task for us all, but I have found it gives a little relief knowing
they did not suffer for us.

Hospice Mom Judy had to have this talk with Harry not long ago-- and
after she did when he curled up to sleep -- he never woke up -- and
that is the way I hope it will be for me. Harry passed on his terms
knowing it was alright to go to the next place. In the beginning, I am
afraid many of the little lost souls in my care lingered far longer
than they should have - it was for me. I was not ready to let them slip
away - and consequently they hung on without joy, without luster and
without quality. At this season of giving I am giving to you , who may
be walking this path the insight I have gained after sitting, holding,
comforting and crying over hundreds of little souls. It is the gift of
wisdom, to give permission for a life without pain, without illness.
For the chance for that special companion to leave our world with
dignity instead of lingering .

Those words allowing release .." If it is time to go, it is all right,
I will find you when my day comes", goes a long way. I still cannot
speak those words without tears, but I know that for many of these
little souls who bond so closely with us it is a necessary gift.

I give you my earned wisdom for use when your times are in need.
Passing the Peace of this season to you all.

Alicia, a shelter mom
http://www.ferretwise.org
a 501c3 organization