From:
Susan Mannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 09:44:12 -0700
I, too, read Dr. Susan Brown's comment on whipping cream.  If you read the
response carefully, she specifically says not to use the canned kind of
whipping cream.  We have a 9 year old female with insulinomas and have been
using a small amount of heavy whipping cream mixed into chicken baby food to
add fat and protein to help balance the insulinomas.  The whipping cream is
the kind that comes in a carton, and it does not contain sugar.  Since we
started doing this, Tabu's insulinoma episodes have stabilized.  Also, it is
an excellent way to get her medications down.  We had been using Nutrical,
but it definitely contains sugars so that has been eliminated.  I have
noticed that several people have posted to boards saying that they have had
difficulty getting their ferrets to take other protein foods that help with
insulinomas, and I think that the whipping cream would help.  I don't "whip"
the cream; I just shake it up really well in the container.  I limit her
intake to about 1 teaspoon a day.  Tabu has gained weight since doing this,
and she does not get runny poops.  I totally concur about watching for
sugars with ferrets with insulinomas, but I disagree that heavy whipping
cream is a problem.

"It's just another day in paradise!"