From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:06:48 -0500
You'll find from looking at Issue 1, and from reading the ferret medical
FAQs that we have long ferret experience.  Also, Steve and I have helped
more than a few ferrets by getting info to people when they need it over the
years; as members notice over time.  The information was directly (pers.com.)
from a vet involved in the coordinated, multi-vet treatment/consultation on
some of the ill ferrets still surviving, and that info was ONLY that some
ferrets had been injected with a holistic "vaccine" which did not work,
later developed canine distemper, and there have been deaths so far --
NOTHING more .  The reason I don't have more details is because they simply
are NOT any of my business -- medical ethics -- so there's no way more would
have been mentioned in our general distemper conversation -- and I respect
peoples' privacy (both the owners' and the vets') too much to ask.  I know
how Steve and I would feel if we'd gotten poor advice and wound up in that
spot and we can't help but sympathize with the owners.  Please, those who
have, stop sending mail badgering me to ask.  I won't because it's just
plain not my business.  To those who want to question me in posts, feel
free, but just make sure to hold the testing of anything you put in your
critters to standards at least as strict -- medical treatment based on
owners' belief rather than testing is dubious.  I don't want you or your
ferrets hurt as much as those involved must have been.

Sukie