From:
Charlene Lowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 17:32:16 -0500
Regarding the MF debate.  I have not dealt with the volume of ferrets that
many of the people have who wrote about their belief that MF ferrets may be
"prone" to adrenal and other cancers, however, I wanna put my two cents in
anyway because my experience is so much different than what i'm reading
here.  Of the several ferrets that have been in our family over the last
several years the sickliest of them have all been non-MF.  Now, we did have
an MF ferret (Edith) require an adrenal surgery just a couple months ago.
She is almost 4 years old.  She sailed through the surgery no problem.  But
on the other hand, Nina was non-MF came from Colorado, she died at 2.5 years
old of Lymphosarcoma.  Henry, is non-MF from Canada, has had bouts with
ulcers, intestinal problems, ear problems, nervous problems on an ongoing
basis for going on two years (he is going on 3 years old) and has had to be
hand fed almost daily for nearly 2 years, he's been to the vet at least 25
times.  I could go on.  Nina and Henry lived with us since they were babies.
Now, Clarence (3 yrs), Zoey (3 yrs), June and Dino are all MF ferrets and
have always been completely maintenance free (knock on wood!).  I know
they're young and problems may have yet to develop, but all of the non-MF
ferrets who have lived with us with health problems have displayed them much
younger than these ages... Also, something else I feel I must say is that
every "rescue" ferret we've brought in has been non-MF.  Granny, who was
abandoned by her owners to starve to death was non-MF.  Boy, who was found
in somebody's garage skinny as a toothpick is non-MF.  Ford, who was found
in the middle of a major highway - non-MF.  Why not add also in the abused
albino boy, Sidney, from Fredonia - he's obviously non-MF.  You see, my
thinking goes like this... MF ferrets are known for their docile behavior
not to mention they don't poof.  The casual ferret owner might abandon a
sometimes biting, sometimes poofing ferret more frequently than a small
docile non-poofing MF ferret.  There is a breeder here that sells kit
ferrets for $65-75; older ones for cheaper (The Fredonia guy sold them for
$35 i think).  MF ferrets in pet stores here are about $150 or $200 with a
starter kit included.  I believe (at least from my experience in our area)
that non-MF ferrets might be treated disposably which is so different from
what i'm reading here.

>Butler, our rescue with the large abcess in his ear, is just doing worse
>all the time.

I'm so sorry to hear your story.  We have used colloidal silver in aloe
ointment successfully in a couple abcess experiences in our ferrets.  Good
luck.

charlene