From:
"J Gordon Bengtson, CI-ASMEL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:59:05 -0400
Ferrets are quite slick in many aspects. Before I got my very first
ferret a vet told me a ferret will tell you if something is wrong, and
for sure they will. But one has to learn their language to 'hear' their
words.

Just watching them is one way but not very complete. One needs to gain
an interpersonal relationship with the individual fert to see those
subtle differences and learn the language.

I had a most terrific level of communication with Byte-me. That was
totally supreme. Kindness was first and foremost in every case and
worked every time, first time, every time. Sometimes it was a bit
trying to get her attention but once done it was flawless.

Today I 'talked' to Pester in her language, it was really super to
have her attention. Words never work. They simply do not understand
words, but they do understand the tone of your voice and that is but
only a part of the whole communication process..

Today Pester was lying in her cage well focused with a visual on my
every move. I melted and just could not go by her without some TLC
attention.

Opening the door she rolled on her back exposing her belly to me, I
gently rubbed her and scratched as I played with her speaking in soft
tones. She responded by letting me play with her showing how much she
was enjoying this. Usually she only would want to get out of dodge
and avoid me totally but this time she really wanted my attention and
touch. That is a great start and communications grow from there.

Bud would tell me of his problems too. He was a jewel of a 'guy'. His
hind legs would clamp up so he could only use his front legs to pull
his butt behind him like a dog with worms, but that was not the case.

I came home and Bud was waiting for me. When I got to the kitchen door
to the porch Bud was there with legs all stiff. He scurried as best
he could straight to me. I put everything I had in my hands down and
picked Bud up. Ferrets can't smile where they don't have the muscles
to do that but for sure Bud was smiling. I carefully massaged his legs
their whole length over and over. He stayed very still letting me do
that over and over. Eventually I could see he had motion back and he
had control again in his legs. He 'asked' to be put down so I did. He
was back to normal, for sure I could tell he was very happy for what
I did.

For sure, a ferret will speak to you if you learn how to listen. Is
allot of work on YOUR part, but is well worth the effort. There are
many memories to be made when you succeed.

Gordon, Peekaboo and Pester-Doodle

Aarrow-Ranch Aviation
Mechanicsville, Virginia  23111