From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 11:01:45 -0700
There are several problems I see with the theorys in Charlene Lowe's post
upholding the joys of insecticide spray.  One of them is the number of times
our little fuzzies feet will come in contactwith the dried spray vs contact
by a "bug" of a nocternal nature.  Our babies could dance and cavort on a
specific area 20 times for every fast scurry a bug will make.  What happens
when your ferret has damp feet, walks across the dried substance, then licks
the residue off?  Another is that in either a kitchen or bathroom, the
possibility exists that the floor will accidentally be re-wetted just by
normal uses of the rooms.  A third problem is that the apt dweller has no
control over mixing the solution.  It is well known that "if a little is
good, a lot is better" is oftimes applied when concentrate/water mixtures
are being made up.  And if it isn't harmful to humans, why do they wear a
protective "bunny suit"?

Of course it doesn't work if wash up!  Duh!  That was the idea!  It's not
about killing bugs - it's about keeping fuzzies safe!

Well just call me silly, but if I wash MY contact area, re food, etc., I'm
going to also wash the area my darlings come in contact with, which is -
the floor!  I would also like to say that I've lived in Minnesota, and I've
lived in North Carolina,and what passes for a roach in one would be
considered just a little ol' sand flea in the other.  So too, a "good
spraying" in one would be a "mere whiff" in the other.  We're talkin'
enough liquid that it puddles and runs!

As to the buggies leaving another's abode and taking up residence in mine,
if that good spray stuff works, aren't they all dead in the other apt?
Believe me, bugs have never been a problem in any residence I occupied for
long.  My recommendation is only directed to those who feel as I do that the
welfare of my animans is my responsibility.  As for believing what an
exterminator tells you - that's about like believing the tobacco companies!

A hostile environment can be created without resorting to spray.  One biggie
in a bugs life is food.  Accessable boxes in cupboards, open bags under the
sink, the ol' garbage can - these can all be eliminated.  No trash ever
spent a hot North Carolina night in my house.

My most persistant roach was one living in a wall behind the shower of an
old North Carolina farm house.  How old?  Well, the bathroom as an "add-on"!
There I was, a sudzin' & singin', when I felt "eyes" on me.  No one was in
the room, no one else was home, but the spooky feeling wouldn't go away.
Having a grewat spider fear, I scanned the entire shower area.  Aaaacck, a
set of antenna twitched, as a pair of beady little eyes peered at me from a
gap above the shower enclosure where the corner didn't quite meet!  A roach
was actually watching me shower!  It must have been that "hostile
environment" - I was the only tasty thing left in the house!  He appeared
several times, till I put tape over the gap.

So my friends, welcome the sprayer or wash it all up, it's your choice.
Your fuzzies depend on you to make the best possible decision on their
behalf.

Warm thoughts,

Georgia