From:
Lonny Eachus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2012 22:15:39 -0700
Cara:

My letter was a generic comment about making jerky, not necessarily for
ferrets. I specifically stated that it came from University of Alaska
food preservations studies.

But if you want some that can be safely consumed by ferrets OR people,
I strongly recommend you follow those guidelines. A large percentage of
the Alaskan population supplements their diet with wild game, and UA
has done a great deal of study on the matter for that reason.

But if it is for your ferrets ONLY, then by all means allow / keep /
put all the salmonella you want in your jerky treats. That is your
prerogative. I was not trying to tell you do to otherwise.

By the way: I also clearly wrote that the heat treatment was not about
COOKING the chicken. It is a heat treatment only and has nothing to do
with cooking.

Lonny Eachus