Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:03:55 -0600
I am very disappointed.  I am afraid that I probably won't be seeing any
more of the 'disgusting, evil, wicked, nasty, stinky, and smelly' posts
on the list.  They were great.  Each and every night, I would stay up
into the early morning hours and wait for the latest issue of the FML to
pop into my inbox, just to see the subject lines.  I would scroll down:
'Pet for Adoption' - bah, got enough... 'My Binky Is So Cute' - yes,
we know... 'Line Breeding' (I concluded that this probably wasn't a
'disgusting, evil, and wicked' post, but merely a related topic)...
until finally - I hit a 'disgusting, evil, wicked, and nasty' post.  My
fix was satisfied!

I have to thank BIG for letting it go on and on - the slings and arrows
of outrageous misfortune, post after post, each more indignant and
melodramatic than the last, until the posts prompted two exasperated
ferrets to get on a tractor and use them to start their own compost pit.
It eventually wound down with the expected 'I've had it, I quit the list'
post.  Although I expected it, it still puzzled me.  Quit the list?

Twenty-five hundred members, and someone would quit the list because of
a few people's postings?  Why would you?  I mean, where can you get this
kind of drama sent right to your inbox on a daily basis?  Moderation,
schmoderation... BIG knows what he's doing.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm not denigrating the seriousness of these
posts.  I'm sure these posts were very serious, with important points
being made each and every single time, repeated over and over again for
emphasis.  It's just that I never got that far.  The accusatory evil
said/nasty said comments usually got to the point that reading them was
like observing a car wreck.  With each post, however, the cars would back
up and ram each other again!  It was astounding!  I would find myself
just sitting there at times, staring at my monitor in stunned silence,
realizing that I couldn't remember what I had just read.  But no matter.
I could read it all again in twenty-four hours.

This morning, however, we reached the post we sadly knew was coming - the
post saying that there would be no more posts on this subject.  I don't
understand why people do that.  I mean, if you're not going to post about
something, then why would you post about not posting about it?  Is there
going to be another post about THAT?  You people have got to understand
that I only have so much time in the day to read these things.

Ah, well it's back to the business of ferrets, I suppose.  I know we have
more important things to read (and DO, I might add), like the Standards
For Ferrets edocket (very important):

http://docket.epa.gov/edkfed/do/EDKStaffCollectionDetailView
?objectId=0b0007d4809253af
[That one doesn't see ferret related...  I think the id now is:
?objectId=0b0007d4809252bb
but that id number may change by the time you read this!  BIG]

and news on the black-footed ferret:
http://www.defenders.org/defendersmag/issues/summer05/badlands.html

and donating to the FML 5000 Fund (remember, we still have 2499 members,
so let's get a move on):
http://www.geocities.com/imdella/fml5000.html

But inwardly I'm hoping for the next major controversy, with all the
appropriate postings.  It's like waiting for the next L.A.car chase.
You know it's coming, you know how it's basically going to end, but you
can't wait for Channel 5's Eye In The Sky to bring you the live video.
I'm going to stay tuned.  I'm not going to be quitting the list anytime
soon.  I will keep my computer fired up, make myself a pot of tea, and
watch CNN for distraction while I wait.  Huh?  Hold on.  It seems that
CNN already has some breaking news.  Apparently the California Highway
Patrol is on southbound I-5, chasing two ferrets who have run amok on a
tractor.

Roary
Albuquerque, NM
blog - http://ferretphilosophy.blogspot.com/