From:
Chessum Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 12:06:08 +1200
This one is serious.

As a bit of background, the Government issued a discussion paper in 1999
outlining options for managing a perceived problem with pet ferrets.  There
were about 1000 submissions to that discussion paper, and these submissions
have been analysed over the past year by a consultant.  The results of this
process have been published this week, and the Minister of Conservation has
apparently announced that she will make a decision on whether or not to ban
pet ferrets throughout New Zealand within a month.

We all know that there is no scientific or ecological reason for banning
pet ferrets, so why is this serious?  The Minister of Conservation is from
the Alliance Party, who are wallowing in the polls at the moment, having
seen a considerable part of the far left vote drift to the Green Party.
This is an issue that the Alliance Party might try to use to try and regain
their green credentials.

Now is the time when all New Zealand Ferret Owners need to stand up and be
counted.  If we lose this one now, we will probably never be able to win it
back.  There are two things that individual ferret owners can do - write
directly to the Minister and express your opinions, and write letters to
the media.  Time is short.  If anyone needs assistance with information or
material to help them write letters, then Ferret PAWS (NZ) Inc has a number
of background papers and fact sheets that we produced during the 1999
consultation process.  To get copies of these, either contact Ferret PAWS
directly on [log in to unmask] or else you can get soft copies from me

Unfortunately I am now in Australia until the end of the year (although my
fuzzies are still in NZ), which somewhat limits my ability to get involved
with this campaign - however if anyone does manage to get hold of a copy of
the document on ferrets released by the Ministry of Conservation this week,
can they please either e-mail or fax it to me (fax no can be supplied on
request).

Regards

John Chessum
former President
New Zealand Ferret Protection and Welfare Society Incorporated (Ferret =
PAWS (NZ) Inc)