From:
Perry Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 01:56:11 +1100
I have seen many entries on FML about bad ferret sellers and mistreatment of
ferrets in general.

As a ferret lover, I happily introduce my carpetsharks to anyone.  Almost
all people are amazed how beautiful my dookers are.  There is a conception
that all ferrets are born and breed killers.  I spare no effort to ensure
that the best of care and attention is given to my ferrets.

We must be the monitors of our friends as well as those in pet stores,
shelters and the like.  If there are unsatisfactory conditions, report it to
the business owners.  If that does not work there is always the RSPCA or
similar.  We are the only one that can stop those who are <only> interested
in the almighty dollar.  If they know they are being watched, they should
clean up their act or know they will be forced out of business.

Animal cruelty is unforgivable.  A local ferret breeder (a farmer) had 250
ferrets in a single unpartitioned cage which measured 5x7 metres.  He has
been charged and faces $5000.00 per offence.  The RSPCA has confiscated all
the ferrets and forbidden him to have, own or control any animal for five
years (this includes cattle and sheep).  This may seem harsh to some.  I saw
the condition of the ferrets and if he was present I would now be charged
with justifiable cruelty to a human.

REMEMBER, WE MUST MAKE THE CHANGE.

May the ferrets be with you.