From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 08:13:05 -0400
First, I want to say ****************THANK YOU************************ to
the wonderful sponsors who help out our little fuzzies here.  You people are
wonderful!!  I am proud to know each and every one of you.  Rikki, Emily,
Duchess, and Festus send you all lots of ferret kisses.

Okay, now, I have been asked to explain exactly what "sponsoring a shelter
ferret" entails, so that all of you can better understand the concept.  This
is what *I* feel sponsoring involves.

Ferrets come to shelters from all sorts of places, for all sorts of reasons.
Ferret shelters that are truly devoted to the animals usually stay "in the
red" financially.  My experience has been that, if proper medical care is
given to all who need it, that even with adoption fees for the ones adopted
the expenses are usually 3 times the "income" from the adoption fees.  Now
this varies from shelter to shelter, and from time to time.  It seems like
the healthy ones come in "spurts", other times it seems all that come in are
older or ill animals, or those needing spay/neuter, etc., and the bills
really start piling up.

Shelters survive on love and often the shelter moms and dads go without alot
of personal needs/wants and spend every spare dime on these needy fuzzies.
 We can't do it alone folks.  A few shelters have found ways to gain income
enough to stay in the black, but most of us don't have that option.  Our
circumstances and geographical areas are just too diverse.

Some ferrets that come through only need food, water, love and affection
before they go on to find new homes.  Others only need basic care and to be
brought up to date on vaccinations.  Many need medical care or surgery.
Some of these are adoptable after surgery, some are not.  Some need
medicines.  Some can be adopted out to "special" homes, but at a lower
adoption fee because of health or age.  Some become "permanent shelter
residents".

As you can see, there are great variances in the level of care and the costs
for each individual that we shelters care for.  As a sponsor, I feel that
*any* ferret should be able to have a sponsor so that the sponsor could
choose a particular ferret that they wish to help, and choose if they only
want to send donations to cover the basic care of a ferret that will be here
a short time, or if they want to help one with smaller medical bills, or
take on one which needs more long-term medical care.  Most of the ones
needing long-term medical care eventually become permanent residents.

We shelter operators realize that the sponsors have financial concerns of
their own, so I do not feel it is appropriate to set "requirements" for
sponsoring.  We understand that circumstances change for everyone and just
because you are able to be a sponsor this month, in 3 months your
circumstances may prevent you from helping out, but then in 6 months you may
be able to donate again.  Basically, anything you can send helps!!!

Sponsors do not even have to pay for 'all' of the expenses of a particular
ferret, so one ferret can have several sponsors.  A sponsor could choose a
one-time donation to cover a surgery for a particular ferret.  Here, some
non-life-threatening surgeries must wait.  For example, I have a whole male
here named Bandit who only needs to be neutered and descented, but this will
probably cost us $60 to $100 so I am putting it off in order to buy meds and
pay bills for those that are ill.  Once Bandit has his surgery, he will be
able to go on to a new home.

As a sponsor will receive snapshots of  your special fuzzy child, periodic
updates, and a warm and happy feeling deep in your heart.  This is a
wonderful way to help out a shelter and allows those who cannot take in
rescues, to be a real and vital part of rescue work.  If you choose, you may
donate directly to the vet caring for the ferret.

Some sponsors like to send "surprise" packages to the little fuzzies that
they sponsor.  The kids really love this, and it brings a tear to the eye of
the shelter mom or dad I promise you.  If you wish, some fuzzies can even be
persuaded to try their paw at the computer, sending personal fuzzy notes to
their sponsors through email, and through regular mail.  Imagine getting a
letter from a special fuzzy that you have personally helped to rescue/care
for.  I know when I read White Fang's post the other day, it brought tears
to my eyes.  I can't wait to meet that little sweetheart.

If you do not wish to sponsor a particular fuzzy, but would like to
contribute to help all the ferrets at the shelter, that would be wonderful
too.  Gang, even ten bucks goes a *long* way to help the fuzzies.

As for my shelter, there are ferrets in all categories still needing
sponsors.  I am sure other shelters have many ferrets needing support also.

If you are considering sponsoring, contact your favorite shelter mom or dad,
and ask about their fuzzies, I am sure something can be worked out.

Kisses to the fuzzies.....Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter