Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:52:48 -0500
while we are on the subject...

a little while ago at a friend was over and he was watching the ferrets
play while I was cooking.  he suddenly said to me, this ferret looks like
he is stuck!  I went over and saw Sorin climbing down a wire ramp, with
something long and red behind him.  I thought it was his bum (prolapsed
rectum?) and pick him up (thus freeing him) and checked it.  it was fine.
then I noticed blood coming out of his pee pee and figured he caught his
bacula!  called my vet (who have an emergency line).  she told me it was
nothing to worry about, and he'll probably be bleeding a fair bit.  what
I should do is to put pressure on his penis to stop his bleeding, and
clean it with alcohol to prevent infection.  then she told me about just
treating a dog who was a little enthusiastic about another dog who wasn't
so keen, and got bit - guess where.  she said wounds to the area tend to
bleed a fair bit, but generally isn't as bad as they look.  Sorin had to
resign to me holding him for an hour or so till the bleeding stop, but
then he acted just fine.  no infection or anything over the next couple
of days.

so remain calm if your ferret is unlucky enough to have such an
accident..

Selina, Sprite, Dart, Clef, Popcorn, Sorin (not blushing) and Mochi