From:
Duck lite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:50:40 EDT
>There is a ferret Shelter in Ohsweken, Ontario in the Six Nations Reserve
>close to Branford.  They recently acquired 4 ferrets from a Barn Yard
>Breeder for a dollar each.  None are spayed as the shelter can't afford to
>do it.  They are new to Canada (originally from America) and have no money
>and are not working.

They run a shelter and have no money.  They bought these animals, they took
the responsibility for them.  This is worse than buying a ferret as a pet
and then not having the money to care for it.  They should have known
better!  What is the matter with these people?!?!  They have HUMAN CHILDREN,
are not working, have no money, and they are adopting unaltered ferrets with
temperment problems!?!?  These people shouldn't be running a shelter!  How
are they paying for medical care for other ferrets in their shelter?  How
are they feeding them?  Or is this a case of someone claiming to be a
shelter, who really isn't?  If they are a shelter, they need to reexamine
their priorities, and stop doing shelter work until they have gotten their
act together.  If they aren't a shelter, then they shouldn't be running
around saying they are, and if they are a shelter, they shouldn't have
ferrets until they can figure out that they cost money to take care of, and
have a plan for how they will have the needed funds before they do shelter
work again.  This is complete and utter irresponsibility.  They got into a
hole, and now they want the good old FML to bail them out.  We've all heard
this one too many times, with too many so called shelters, and a few
breeders too.  It simply makes me sick.

-Anne  (who is now off to work to make money to pay for the care of the
ferrets in her shelter.)