From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 13:48:20 -0400
'Chopper's lowest heart rate remains at 180 -- this is Steve checking when
she's asleep or just slitting her eyes on being moved from a good sleep.
When she's awake but not moving it's more like 240.  The Digoxin dose still
has not brought down the rate, but it HAS made her heart more efficient so
she is playing some games she stopped a few weeks ago, instead of just the
more quiet ones, and her feet are warm.  We will check her rate this weekend
again since it may have responded by then, if not then we will try 0.15 ml
and if she tolerates it we'll check that dose for rate changes over a week.
She has an unusual subset of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy for a ferret to
have so no one is sure how long she has, and that's hard enough even with
forms which are more common, but I would not be surprised if she does not
make it to her birthday on the first of August.  Still, if you can't have
quantity, then if you CAN have quality you've got the more important of the
two and the Digoxin agrees with her marvelously well.  She shows no signs of
discomfort at all, BTW, it's just that she was way, way too tired and she
seemed to find the faints she was having from lack of space in her
ventricles disturbing.  The Digoxin helps with both problems.  She's a
grand old girl and she's making the most of what she has.

Sukie