From:
Gary Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 00:12:02 -0600
Hi
This is my first posting, so I hope it gets through.

I have a continuing problem with a male ferret, bred in Canada, about 9
months old.  At 8 weeks the pet store called him a biter, but he learned
quickly that an exposed hand did not always end up where he thought when he
lunged for it--sometimes it bumped him before he was ready.  I can handle
and play with him in most situations without undue risk, and am the only one
at present who can do so.  My roommate continues to be at risk of nips that
bring blood because she still tries to be nice (translated as cringing and
drawing away, which often encourages him).  His energy level is much higher
than his female companion, earning him the name Pogo for continuous bouncing.

The problem is that despite training and familiarity, on several occasions
Pogo has attacked me, unprovoked (excluding similar occurances with some
extenuating circumstance), and with intent to inflict damage.  As in leaping
onto my leg and attempting to rip off my kneecap, then biting the hand that
removed him severely.  He was examined by a vet and found to be in good
health, with low levels of testosterone consistent with complete neutering.
I have consulted experts, including Dr Williams for clues.  The pet store
reported no similar behavior in other kits from their breeder.  He has been
placed in a separate cage for 'timeouts' relative to the severity of his
bites (up to overnight).  His teeth are much longer and sharper than the
female, Buttons, and his jaws quite strong, thank you!  He lives in a large
bathroom (because of the tiled floor) with lots of tubes and toys, a
companion and several hours a day to run around the house.  So he can't say
he's "depraved ona 'count a bein deprived."

The effects of training--including scruffing--seem to be limited, however.
While I can pick him up, rub and groom him (he likes to snuffle in my
beard), I am and nearly everyone else is at some risk.  I tell people who
want to pet him he likes to say hello by tasting their blood in order to
convince them that when I say he bites, I really mean he BITES.  Yesterday
an experienced ferret person said he would accept the consequences and
offered his hand; after a minute of sniffing, Pogo leaped up and grabbed a
chunk of fore arm and chomped, shaking his head for maximum effect.  (The
man had thick skin, so did not bleed profusely.)  After each episode of
biting, he is more likely to try another, for a few days.

There seems to be a rumor here in Colorado that white-faced, pink eyed
ferrets (like Pogo) are aggressive.  Has anyone else heard that?  Inbreeding
is a question raised by the vet--have others had similar experiences with
Canadian stock?  I would like to keep him, but my roommate periodically
talks of sending him off to a shelter.  Helpful hints would be appreciated.

Gary, Pogo and Button (eyes)
gary