From:
Katie Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 15:55:56 -0600
The other day I was going though the report on the report for the Compendium
of Animal Rabies Control and I came up with a question that I am hoping that
someone can shead some light on.

In the report they talk about ferrets of course...now in section B on
Control Methods in Domestic and Confined Animals, sub-section 5 on
Postexposure Management did anyone think that point c was very poorly worded
and left some scarey implications?

It reads:
c.  Other Animals.  Other animals bitten by a rabid animal should be
euthanized immediately.  Such animals currently vaccinated with a vaccine
approved by USDA for that species may be revaccinated immediately and placed
in strict isolation for at least 90 days.

When the I first read it, I jumped to the conclusion that all other animals
should be killed.  Not that vaccinated ones should be revaccinated and
placed in isolation.

Maybe I am nit-picking, but I find it very interesting that this sections
allows for such blatant misinterpretation.  If you read the other two
sections on Dogs and Cats and Livestock.  They are worded that
"unvaccinated" animals should be slaughter or euthanized.

When this is such a positive and hopeful document, it is unfortunate that it
was not worded a bit better.

Katie
--
Katie [log in to unmask]
Computer Science Lecturer, Carroll College

May Kodo's Light Shine for the Whole World to See

Contrary to what most people say, the most dangerous animal in the world
is not the lion or the tiger or even the elephant. It's a shark riding
on an elephant's back, just trampling and eating everything they see.