From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:38:47 -0500
>Without naming names - one doctor is telling me that if I get a flu shot,
>that my fuzzies could get the flu from me during the "shedding period" -
>but is uncertain how long that may be.  The other doctor says that's
>preposterous - that besides the virus in flu shots being killed and
>non-transmittable - animals can't get the flu from people.

I got the flu shot and it didn't cause a problem for my ferrets.  The shot
I got, and I understand this is what they commonly use now, was not even a
whole virus, but pieces of it so there is *no* way you can get the flu from
the shot.  Therefore, your ferrets can't, either.  When flu shots first
came out, they used a live, weakened virus.  A fair number of people got
the flu from that.  Then they went to a killed virus, and now to pieces of
a killed virus.  Each iteration got a little safer (fewer reactions).

I don't think you need to worry.  If you don't get it and catch the flu,
*then* you can definitely give it to your ferrets. :)

--Barb--