From:
Catherine Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 00:19:38 EDT
Hi everyone.  I've been a member for a short while and really enjoy reading
everyone's posts.  I've never posted before...but here goes...

I'm really really REALLY angry right now!  I've recently moved to
California with my ferrets after getting married in December.  Traveling
2000 miles with 5 ferrets is a whole other post that I will save for the
future!  I don't have many friends here and I figured that the only people
that would understand my anger would be fellow ferret owners.

I read a post several issues ago about the ferret who got his head stuck in
a toilette paper roll.  Two hours ago Kirby did just that.  I was outside
for maybe 30 minutes and came back in to hear a strange sound coming from
my bedroom.  I looked beside my bed and there was Kirby struggling to
breath, blood coming from his nose.  I immediately tore off the roll and
was frantic.  Kirby moved slowly, coughing and breathing only short little
breaths.  I have had two ferrets pass away and know what it sounds like
when a ferret is dying and trying to hang on.  Just so you know, he is fine
now and playing with all the others:) Whew!

Here's the part that has made me so angry!  Right after I found Kirby, I
called my husband at his work.  I thought I was going to have to drive to
the vet which is an hour away (closest ferret friendly vet in this part of
Ca.) I didn't know if he was going to die.  All I knew is that I had a limp
ferret and blood on my hands.  After, FINALLY, getting in touch with an
actual person at Costco where my husband works, Jeff "the manager"
answered.  I was crying on the phone which doesn't take an idiot to figure
out!  I was told my husband was on the clock and I could not speak to him
but that he would give him a message.  Still crying mind you, I told him to
tell my husband that something was wrong with one of the ferrets and to
call me as soon as possible.  WELL, Jeff "the manager" laughed at me!  He
said "excuse me, did I hear you right?  Ferret?" I repeated myself and he
still kept laughing while I was in tears!

When he gave the message to my husband, he completely laughed and thought
it was the funniest thing that I would be so upset over a stupid ferret!

That just made me so mad!  Is that not the rudest inconsiderate thing for a
person to do?  I know, I know, at least Kirby is okay and that's the
important part...thank god!  We are still going to take a trip to the vet
to make sure he is okay.  Right now, he is acting like nothing happened
and terrorizing my 6 year old, Teddy.

For all of you reading this, thank you.  I just didn't have anyone to vent
out my frustrations to that would really understand the bond between a
ferret and his/her owner.  If you are ever in Victorville, Ca, visit the
Costco there and say "hi" to Jeff "the inconsiderate *@#$% manager"

Thanks Again for reading...I feel better already:)
Catherine & Sam
Yada, Teddy, Kirby, Mitt, Josie, *Grace* & *Kit*