From:
Dan Kinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 03:16:24 -0500
Although I've read in several places that letting ferrets have too much
fresh fruit is a bad idea, I have a hard time denying the little weasels.
As far as I can tell - and I may be quite mistaken - the reason for limiting
fruit to a once-in-awhile treat is sugar, or sucrose or dextrose or
something.  I can definately buy that *refined* sugar is a horrible idea,
but bits of apple and pear?

Its not like Boofer, Mr Ralph (the thinking man's ferret) and Footch eat
fruit to the exclusion of good stuff - they love Iams kitten and chow down
on Marshall's to a lesser extent.  But I let them have about 1/3 - 1/4 cup
up cut up fruit (apple, pear, banana, melon in season) a day an they go
CRAZY for the stuff.  I've cut down on raisons - somehow thay seem aliitle
suspect to me.

So I can see that the fruit isn't neccasary nutritionally for them, but does
it actually HURT them?  I mean, lead to diabetes or something?  What do
ferret-oriented vets say?  I'd hate to cut them off something they love so
much.

And by the way, any strong opinions on Marshall's food?

Thanks,
Dan, Boofer, Mr Ralph and Footch