From:
Margaret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 02:28:21 -0700
>Later, though, when there has been a lot of care of ones with great
>needs there can be a time of needing a rest for a while and having
>fewer, healthier ones to stay get an emotional breather.

I must say I am planning this myself.  At the most I had 31 ferrets.
Had the money for them, and had a blast living with them.  Because I took
in a lot of unwanted ferrets, I ended up with two general age brackets.
Three years ago I went through a lot of passings, and am facing this
again this year.

It is tough emotionally.  Tonight I fed Miss MaryJane her baby food
treat, gave her some ferretone and she then laid in a sleep sack on the
couch with me.  She is frail, blind and perhaps 8-9 years old (unknown
because she was found on a street, walking down the middle of it).

And since all of mine are oldsters, except for Sugar, they are all
dealing with various problems.  We have second rounds of adrenal (with 9
year olds),liver disease, lymphoma.  It is *extremely* hard emotionally
at times, because there are no easy or quick answers.

I have already decided that when these guys are gone, I am taking a
break.  But then, I have literally owned animals since the age of five,
when Miss Paddlefoot Bismark Von Merchant (a dachshund) was given to me.
And yes I named her myself.  Don't ask, I have no clue.  I need a break
for me.

But then as I sat writing this, Miss Sugar came up for a game of chase.
Really, what better thing in life than a game of chase with a fert?
Maybe I don't need any time off.  Sigh.

Blessings,
Margie