From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 15:39:02 -0500
It's usually difficult and often impossible to know the circumstances of
another who is a casual acquaintance.  Yes, it's cold to buy a pet for
frivolous reasons and then discard it, but I very seriously doubt many
people who would take the time to search out the FML could fit in that
category, and if some person DID fit that category would you want the person
to have a ferret, anyway?  Often when a pet is being surrendered there are
situations of which we know nothing which make the person's life harder than
we realize.  If things got really rough around here we'd have to find new
homes for our guys.  Now all of you know how deeply we love ferrets, even
those we have never met and are likely to never meet, and you know it would
feel like having our guts torn out with pliers to do that with our family.
Luckily, we have never been unable to afford excellent care for them and
hopefully never will be.  For that we are grateful.  Still, love is also
knowing when to let go because that would be best for the one who is loved.
Not doing so in those special cases is not love; it's obsession or greed.

PLEASE, be gentle with your fellow FMLers (including when they are out of
sorts since the offending one may have recently suffered a loss which makes
even contemplating loss for another painful); you don't know what pressures
they might have behind the scenes.  Be grateful for what is right in your
life.  In this fast paced world we often spend too much time and energy
persuing and too little appreciating what is already there.  Go get a ferret
kiss up your nose; those cure many ills!

Sukie

Edith Warton: "There are lots of ways to be miserable, but there's only one
way of being comfortable, and that is to stop running round after
happiness."