Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 03:03:10 -0800
Last night's FML contained the following statement:

>Febreeze may cause seizures in dogs, so it may not be the best thing to
>use with ferrets either.  My former vet recommended not using it around
>pets at all.  He said that although the evidence is only anecdotal, there
>have been numerous reports of seizures after Febreeze had been applied to
>a dog's bed or directly to its coat, so he said he wouldn't risk it.

Febreze has been shown to be animal safe.  Please see the following
website from the Animal Poison Control Center:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=febrezeupdate

Several years ago, when it was first introduced to the public, it's
ingredients included a substance that *WAS* harmful but after numerous
complaints from primarily bird owners, that substance was removed from
the formulary.

I am afraid your vet is passing out information that is several years old
and I would suggest he write to Febreze and get all the latest information
and test results.

I have been using it in my ferret room for several years.  I have a carpet
swatch that the cage rolls onto and it gets pretty ripe after a month or
two, so I vacuum it thoroughly and then spray it with Fabreeze.  I let it
dry for several hours before turning the ferrets loose.  I also make sure
that the water is removed and food is put up when I spray so contamination
is not possible.  I do the same when I vacuum in their room.

Use the product in complete assurance that your ferrets will be safe...but
like any cleaning type chemical, do not allow your ferrets direct contact
with the product until it is dry.

For Our Ferrets

MC, The Rude One
(With Snorkle, Tuzigoot, Bancho, and Artemus.  In spirit, Bubba,
Billy-Bob, and Garret)