From:
Shannon McAllister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 17:53:48 -0700
I have been a lurker for some time now, I have had ferrets for about 12
years (raising ferret babies was the highlight of my teenage years :)), and
I currently have 3... 2 females, one DEW (Aislyn), a sable (Araby), both
about 1.5 yrs.  old, and a BIG sable mitt male named Gulliver (about 4 mos.
old).

All are altered and descented (Grr... Couldn't find any that weren't...)

Anyway, my question is this: I took my two females to the vet today for
their booster shots, and he specifically told me that distemper and rabies
COULD be given at the same time and would not interfere... I seem to recall
reading something that contradicts this... Anyway he did administer both.
He also said that the booster rabies vaccination he was giving was good for
3 years.  Does this sound right?  I have always had my ferrets receive
yearly boosters before this...

As a side note... Reading about ferrets that wander and do not return... My
very first ferret (I lost when she was 11, two years ago, she had produced
two litters of 12 and 14 kits before being spayed) used to escape her cage
on a sporadic basis and go out for "night walks"... I worried every time...
She would stay out all night and return at about 6 a.m.  When I was a bit
older I moved and she was placed where she would no longer be able to get
outside, but I have to admit I admired her spunk... Naturally no other
ferret of mine has ever been "allowed" such a privilege..  <G>

I really appreciate this list, I have gleaned a lot of useful info.  Any
help on the vaccination questions would be welcome!

Shannon, Araby, Aislyn, and Gulliver