From:
Larry Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2012 00:33:09 -0400
So how do you REALLY feel, Alexandra?

There are two things about running a shelter that really bother me. The
first is make "The Decision", when it's time to help one of our charges
cross the bridge. Neither Dave nor I can do it alone. We both know it
has to be done, but can't say it, so we just agree, and then neither
us has to make the decision. The other thing that bothers me is "The
Story". Just like the Naked City, there are a million of them, but very
seldom do we hear the real one. They ALWAYS hate to part with them,
they ALWAYS want to be sure they go a good home, they ALWAYS want us
to be sure to check out the potential adopter, they ALWAYS want them
to stay together, basically, they are ALWAYS doing what is best for
the ferrets.

However, they ALMOST NEVER explain why their nails are so long, they
ALMOST NEVER explain why their coats are so rough, they ALMOST NEVER
explain why they cower or bite when a hand reaches out to them, they
ALMOST NEVER explain why they are so skinny, they ALMOST NEVER explain
why they have almost no hair, but didn't see a vet, and they ALMOST
NEVER make a donation to even cover the cost of the vet exam.

I can top your "five weeks" by four weeks and six days. A few weeks
ago, we got a call from our local dog pound. When they came in to open
up for the day, they found that someone had left a little bundle for
them. It was a baby ferret, in the transfer box from the pet store.
Next to it was a bag of food, with one scoop out of it, and unopened
bag of litter, a couple pieces of bedding with the tags still on, and
a pair of food and water dishes. I think that little cutie was only
here in the shelter for four days, and that was because we were having
too much fun with an actual baby to let him go to a new home!

The longer I work in the shelter, the less I like people...

However, I long ago adopted this Latin motto - "illigitimi non
carborundum" (I probably have trashed the spelling). Roughly
translated, it means, "Don't let the bastards wear you down". If that
isn't enough, I get down on the floor with the ferrets and become a
giant toy. It is absolutely, 100 percent guaranteed that you cannot be
in a bad mood with one ferret on your head and another one climbing up
the inside of your pants leg. In addition, watching a ferret go from a
timid little bundle of nerves, who doesn't know how to play, and thinks
that a litter box is a good bed, to one dancing across the floor -
well, that makes me smile and cry at the same time. It makes it all
worth it.

I think that Todd and Caff-Pow have got a great home - keep up the good
work. The occasional boost for a ferret or two in need in the direction
of a new home is just a bonus.

Larry Anderson
Scales and Tails Rescue