From:
DTHOMASON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 1994 21:27:06 -0500
John--
       I know it's hard to take when all in the world you want is a
pet that would like some occasional cuddling, but try to be patient,
and I'm sure your little girl will let you know what sort of affection
she likes eventually.  We've had our Laska for 4 months now, and she
doesn't take to cuddling much.  She doesn't mind being picked up much,
but she doesn't usually want to be held more than a few seconds.  It's
a rare treat when she does, though!  She prefers a pickup, give a few
quick nuzzles or ferret kisses, snuggle about 15 seconds, and then down.
She likes to crawl all over us if we're laying down, and she often gets
in bed with us and finds a spot along our legs to snuggle up and sleep.
It's not that she's not affectionate, but she's very different from our
other girl who likes to be held, petted, and cuddled for extended
lengths of time.  She'll even come and "ask" to be held.  I think the
big difference between their personalities (though they're all
individuals) is that Laska was a ferret we got from people who cared
nothing for her, knew nothing of what ferrets can be like, and kept her
caged ALWAYS.  She was very interested in all there was to see in a
house besides the people!  Pixie, on the other hand, we got as a kit.
We have always handled her alot, restricted her within the house very
little, and my husband especially went to some effort to show her that
being held and cuddled was a nice thing while she was little.  Now if
she thinks she isn't getting enough loving, she comes and asks for it!
     Suggestions to get her to accept your desire to pick her up and
hold her:  pick her up frequently.  Give her a quick hug or a couple
of strokes and let her down.  Two or three times a day, pick her up
and cuddle her, petting gently and speaking to her softly and
soothingly.  Gently restrain her efforts to get down.  Hold her for
just a minute or two to begin with, then try to find a moment in which
she isn't squirming to set her down, teaching that the squirming is not
what gets her down.  Consider offering her a very small treat before
setting her down, like a tiny drop of Ferretone or a bit of fruit.
Start giving all treats you offer her for whatever reason while she is
in your arms.  The cuddling seesions should slowly increase in duration
up to several minutes in time.  Eventually she should at least lose
fear and distrust of being held, and maybe she'll even turn out to like
the cuddles!
                 Best of Luck,

                       Debra

People:  Raisin dispensers.