Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:08:02 -0400
I've never really had much of an interest in hedgehogs. I saw a couple
of them in a pet store one. Wondered how anyone could cuddle them. But,
France has been a fixture in Alex' stories for so long, I felt like I
knew her. She first lived in the closet across the barrier from the
ferrets, if I remember correctly. I thought she was probably about
the size of a small cat - taking on the ferrets like that!

When I finally met her, however, I was surprised to find that she was
a tiny little thing that fit in the palm of my hand (something I would
probably known earlier had I bothered to look up "frickin' pygmy
hedgehog!"). She was a prickly little thing and boy, could she hiss! I
remember her tiny little body sitting there as she curled herself into
a tight little ball. I held her and held her and held her some more.
She never did really "open up" to me, but she did once show me her
belly and glare at me through one eye. Otherwise, she rattled her
quills at me and squinted tightly to keep from having to deal with
this "strange she-hoomin who insists on touching me."

On August 26 I invited myself to visit the Sargent-Colburn home again.
This time I was ferretless. OK, maybe I DID scruff Ping and Puma in my
teeth, just to show Alex it could be done. And, Sterling and I fought
over a spot on the couch. And, the Noble Allis Chompers was her happy
self. The garden was nice - I was quite impressed with the work that
has been done there. Quite a change since my last visit. And the
tractor awaited its next adventure.

But, my sights were set on France. How was my prickly little friend?
Would she remember me? Welcome me with open arms? Or at least open
eyes? I picked her up from her sleep sack and she hissed. Walking to
the couch, where Sterling made a space, I sat down and began to stroke
her little quills. She looked at me. She opened up and sat there
looking at me. I could not put her down as the cute little face and
soft little underbelly entranced me. She was so adorable. She let me
pet her, hissing softly, but with quills relaxed. She kept me entranced
while her she-hoomin cleaned her box, putting in fresh food and water.
I continued to hold her while her he-hoomin ate dinner, which smelled
wonderful and was offered to the silly hoomin who couldn't put down the
hedgie. And then, she used me as her litter box! Who knew that such a
little thing had that much poop and pee in them? I have been initiated!
Putting her in her box before making the long trip home, I couldn't
resist one last touch. And, yes, she hissed and tried to escape back
into her John Deere sleep sack. And, I smiled . . .

I loved that frickin' little pygmy! I'll miss you, France. Fly free, my
little friend - and, thanks for the education and the memories. I am so
glad I got to know you.

renee
Catch me at the Breeders' Forum!
Nov. 10 in Pittsburgh, PA