From:
K HUTCHINSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:25:49 -0500
>Bethany Townsley wrote: Any advise on how I can get her to stop pooping
>any where BUT her litter box would be welcomed!

Our little girl, Chloe, likes to 'mark' the perimeter of her territory
occasionally.  This really bothers my husband who does NOT like animals in
the house, but for some strange reason has put up with the ferret running
free most of the time.  He only makes us put her up if he's had a really
hard day at work and doesn't want somebody sniffing his dinner plate or
jingling between his feet in the middle of the night.  Anyway, about
getting her to poop in the box...

When Chloe was getting bad about going in front of whatever door was
closest, I decided to keep a sharp eye on her for awhile.  As soon as she
went running to one of her spots I would snatch her up with a firm "no" and
take her immediately to her bathroom litter box.  I would put her in it and
then give her a treat, whether she went or not (keep them close by).  Since
then, I have found that it really helps to just leave a few treats out near
the box for her whenever she goes.  We also keep a little water bowl in
there for her, because you know how thirsty they get.  The treats we use in
the bathroom are the 8 in 1 "Fruit & Crunch Treat", she loves 'em!  I know
this would be harder if you have more than one fert so you might just start
leaving a small food and water bowl a few feet away from each box.

Sometimes she does still have the occasional accident and when she does, we
now put her in time out in the bathroom. This again with the very firm "no"
and a mean look which she throws right back at us (such a pouter).  We only
leave her there for a few minutes and when we go to let her out usually put
a few more treats down and stay in there for a minute so she doesn't hate
the bathroom.  It has really worked for us.

We have a very small house @750 sq. ft. so we only need two litter boxes
but if yours is much bigger you will want to scatter those boxes about
because the poor babies have such a fast metabolism that when they gotta
go, they gotta go!!  It is so funny though, because now that our little
poota gets her treats in the bathroom, she will waddle on down there as
fast as she can to potty instead of using the box in her cage.  It's so
hilarious because her hind is just dragging along behind her lest she shake
something out!  (I guess you have to be there) It's like watching a kid
dance around waiting to go...

Of course keeping the box free of too many piles makes all the difference
in the world too...anyway good luck