Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:02:47 -0400
Our next guest has been around quite a while.  He has been a speaker in
most of the 50 states, as well as Europe.  In fact, when contacted for
this most recent event interview, Bob replied in an uncharacteristically
modest fashion with, "Haven't you interviewed me enough?" I have.  And,
although we don't see each other often, I know quite a bit about Bob.

I first met Bob in Las Vegas, standing at the 2002 Symposium registration
table.  I looked up and saw a not-unattractive, not tall, not bald, not
old, not fat man in a Hawaiian print shirt standing next to me.  (I tell
you this because I expected him to be all of those things -- the
Hawaiian shirt gave it away.) My first words to him were, "You must be
Bob Church." He replied, "I must." "I have something for you," I said.
"Really?" he countered.  Well, after all, I have never met the man and I
have something for him?  I am sure he was at least a little apprehensive.
Harmless as I am, however, it was only a calendar of Hawaiian shirts.  I
had heard so much about Bob and his shirts -- and was so surprised to
find a calendar featuring them! -- that I just KNEW I had to buy it
(and I also knew for whom).  I had also stopped by the Colorado roadside
to visit and photograph "The Hawaiian Shirt Shack" (next to the Coal
Miner's Diner) just for Bob!  I had never even met the man and he was
already influencing my actions!  And that, my friend, is one of the
things Bob does best!

In 2003 Bob was a featured speaker at the Atlanta Symposium.  As the
Publicity Coordinator, it was my responsibility to learn about the
speakers and promote them to the ferret community.  Bob and I played
phone and email tag for awhile before completing THAT task, but we
eventually got it done.  And so began my endless harangue of Bob for
speaker interviews!

Functioning on a schedule referred to as *Bob* time, this man will go
anywhere that will have him to talk about ferrets!  Since he was last
seen at the St.  Louis Symposium, Bob has been coast to coast and over
the pond off the Easter seaboard!  I had the opportunity to meet up with
Bob in Massachusetts in October of last year, where he moderated the MaFF
Halloween Bash in his signature Hawaiian print shirt.  While there Bob
also demonstrated the proper technique for brushing your ferrets' teeth
and shared some of his research on ferret oral hygiene.

For those of you who have never met Bob, you are in for a treat.  As
Danee said, his material is always new because Bob doesn't' let any grass
grow under his feet -- or on his research.  Currently Bob is working to
amass as much information and documentation on ferrets as possible.  He
has put together a large assortment of documents and other items (i.e.,
postcards, book plates and articles, postage stamps, books, ad sheets,
newspaper articles) that can be used to prove the history, attitudes
towards, and public knowledge of ferrets through the years.  Much of this
information will be included in one or more of the books on which he is
currently working.

Bob was introduced to ferrets through a friend.  His first ferret was to
him, as to many of us, like any other pet.  Had it not been for Stella,
who refused to be ignored, Bob may never have developed his current level
of interest in ferrets and what we know as a result of that interest
might not exist today.  Bob has had a parade of ferrets since Stella,
with the number now about 20.  You may see some of his ferrets in Ferrets
Magazine, for whom Bob writes a column on enrichment.  (He will talk
about this in Toronto.  If you have never seen a Bob presentation,
believe me when I tell you that you do not want to miss it!

Here are a few things about Bob that you may not know:
He was born in California.
He served in the Navy.
He has been a photojournalist.
Last fall he went to Europe and grew a beard.
He chased rabbits in England.
His daughter Elizabeth has stepped into the ferret realm.
He is a Quaker.
You will never be bored in his presence.

Join us in Canada to hear Bob share some of his stories from his trip
to England and Europe.  He will be the one spending as much time asking
questions as he is talking!  And you will see why I count Bob Church
among the people I am glad I know!

Write Bob at [log in to unmask] and invite him to speak at your next
meeting!