From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 11:14:34 -0400
Someone asked:
>I am going to be driving to CA in order to bring my little fuzzys with me
>and I know once I saw a request for the locations of the border patrol on
>the FML.

If you're driving into California and very much want to meet some border
patrol workers, you should look in issues 1254 and 1277 for routes to avoid.
(Instructions for retrieving back issues are at the top of this one.)
[Moderator's note: Also see issue 1495.   BIG]

Bido wrote:
>The strange thing is that she is balding on the top of her head.  There is
>a section about the size of a dime that is gone.  Is this also a symptom
>of  adrenal tumors?

Yes, it can be.  The hair loss doesn't follow the same pattern in every
ferret.

>balding be due to a change in food?  Select Care has a good percentage of
>protein but 8% fat.  It is also high in fiber with little chicken.

That doesn't sound like a good food for ferrets.  The protein percentage
does very little good if it's all corn and wheat; ferrets really can't
digest vegetable proteins well at all.  That's also not nearly enough fat,
which will make her coat dry and brittle.  It is quite possible that
Kelsey's hair loss is from a poor diet.

>Tonight she is going to be feed Purina Kitten Chow again mixed with
>Purina ONE Kitten formula (35% protein, 16% fat).  We also have some
>Ensure to feed through a syringe.

Better, but even Purina Kitten Chow is mostly vegetable proteins,
carbohydrates and fiber, isn't it?  (I'm not sure; I haven't looked at a
label recently.) If so, please try to convince your friend to switch Kelsey
to a good kitten food, something like Iams, Science Diet, or ProPlan, or a
good ferret food.  I bet she'll eat less, have more energy and a softer
coat, and make less (and less smelly) poop.  Especially if she may have
adrenal problems, getting her as healthy otherwise is important.

No flames are intended by this advice, just a sincere hope that Kelsey
stays happy and healthy.

Larissa Payne asked:
>Subject: Drinkin' out of the toilet?

They can fall in, and they've been known to drown.  Otherwise, although it's
not the cleanest water around, it should be okay, as long as you don't use
any of those in-the-tank cleaner tablets.

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>