From:
Judi Clausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:46:52 EST
A comment via "Ferret Intelligence." I am a fairly new Ferret Addict, and
wanted to share a story about my Jamie Ferret.

Last week I took him & his sis, Jennifer Ferret, over to my Mom's so they
could tunnel in the leaves out back [that didn't get raked this year].
I'd gotten them new "H" style leashes, so they just couldn't escape,
right?  Well, as I'm sure all of you more experienced Ferret Folk have
guessed, they managed to wiggle out of after about 10 minutes of play
time.

Lesson #1-Ferrets can get out of anything they want to get out of!  Off
they ran into the shrubbery & into the next door neighbor's yard.

Lesson #2- [which I read somewhere LATER], do not let your Ferret get
under shrubbery where the leashes can become entangled!]

I immediately pulled out my handy dandy squeaky toy, and it wasn't long
until I had Miss Jennifer Ferret back in hand, and then safely into her
carrier cage.  But I could not find Jamie!  I looked, and I squeaked, and
I looked and I squeaked, and I looked so more and squeaked until my hand
had cramps in it, and no baby Jamie.  I was so upset, I was just bawling.
I enlisted the help of my neighbor to continue walking around and
squeaking until I got back, as I had to go get my granddaughter at
school.  I get to my designation, and when I went to get out of the car,
I looked down and there was a sleepy looking Ferret at my feet!  Of
course I thought that it had to be Jennifer, that somehow she figured out
a way to get out of her carrier, but then I looked over and she was still
in it, curled up asleep.  It was Jamie!  I could not believe my eyes!  He
had gotten in our car, by himself, curled up under the seat evidently &
decided to take a nap until his silly Momma decided to take him home!  My
car was not the only one in the yard that day either!  Well, I now KNOW,
without a doubt, Ferrets are VERY intelligent!  Has anyone else had a
similar experience?

PS: Thanks to everyone who gave me ideas on treats for Jamie, [who
doesn't like any of the ones other Ferrets like].  I've ended up just
giving him a piece of his regular kibble, and that works just fine.  So
thanks double to whoever [I'm sorry I can't remember] who suggested that,
as for whatever reason known only to him, when it comes out of my hand,
it IS a treat to him!  And we have a new baby [yesterday!] and this
little girl-baby is NOT going to be little long as she likes everything
she sees/smells/tastes, etc.!

Judi