From:
Heather Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 15:29:14 -0500
An update on my poor coughing Abi...

Took Abi & Samson to the vet to find out they BOTH have an upper respiratory
infection, AND...Samson brought it with him from the pet store a week ago.
I have been a two-ferret-owner for just over a week now, and I tell ya, I
really thought owning two is supposed to be easier than just one, cause they
keep each other occupied, etc.  But this is very stressful.  They are so
little and they make such a gosh-aweful noise when they cough.  I feel just
terrible.

I called the pet store to let them know if they had anymore kits from
Samson's litter that they should check them for infection, and he told me
it is very normal for a kit to have upper respiratory problems because
their lives are so stressful from being shipped and checked (vet), shipped
and checked, etc.  Then to go to a new owners home...quite a bit for a 10
week old 1.5 lb. fuzzie!  He also told me they keep some antibiotics on
hand to give THEIR ferrets (the ones they haven't sold yet) when they show
symtoms.  I asked him why they don't tell their customers that when they
purchase the babies, so they don't freak out and panic that their new
fuzzie is gonna stop breathing any minute! (AHEM...)

Is it "normal" for a kit to get an upper respiratory infection? Is this
something serious that I need to plan for more serious treatment to come?
The vet gave me this pink kinda thick liquid medicine to give them twice a
day for 10 days, which they take with relatively no problem.  It has only
been 2 days, but it nothing seems to be happening.  (They are not getting
worse, but now Samson is coughing, too.)Is this the right treatment?

Another problem I have questions about.  I know if your ferret's stool is
thinner than normal (thin- shaped, not thin-runny) he/she probably has a
bowel obstruction needing attention ASAP.  What if you're not sure, is
there a precaution I can take to get rid of something if it is there, that
won't hurt her if there is nothing wrong?  I am asking because a few time
yesterday I saw Abi go to the litter box, then leave, go back, squat,
leave, and a third time, too. I think she may be having trouble going, but
there is so much "stuff" in there I don't know if it is hers or Samson's.
Any suggestions?

Thanks - I'll get the hang of this sooner or later!
Heather (Conrad, Abi & Samson)