From:
Bob Rudich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 10:56:00 EDT
>First I called a vet's office located in Mass,as they were closer to me.
>They made me aware of the fact that if a ferret breaks the skin at all,with
>a bite or scratch in Massachutes the ferret must be immediatly euthanized.
>The vet herself told me that "that is something you should think about
>before you bring him in".

Sherri, please have this vet call Tom French at Fish and Wildlife!!  What he
told you is simply wrong.  We had extensive discussions about this with Dr.
French and he is clearly in the "each case evaluated on it's particulars"
camp.  This "definite kill" is the stance held by MA Public Health
Department, but they ARE NOT the agency with jurisdiction, much as they
would like to be.  This is a dangerous misconception that has been spread in
the most recent Mass Vet Assoc.  newsletter and something we have to work to
undo.  There are a lot of ferret friendly vets around (Dr. Karen is in
Uxbridge, not far from RI) that don't use gloves or kevlar armor in treating
ferrets.  It's not what you don't know that is dangerous.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \