From:
Bill Baran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:20:20 -0700
Another thing that all 501(c) 3 organizations and those in process of
getting that status must do is keep itemized books of where the money
went.  Most organizations can send a copy of the past fiscal year (or at
least could look through their files to find it) to show you where and
how money was spent.  Asking for a shelter's veterinary references is
usually a good start too.  Shelter's and their vets usually have a closer
relationships that a shelter director and his/her mother, so if a vet has
no idea who you are talking about or can't recall when a shelter has
brought in a ferret... it is a big sign that something isn't right.  Even
small shelters make almost monthly trips to their vets' offices.

I'm glad that these issues come into the light now and then and give a
nice reminder of how to keep money flowing where it is most important --
to legitimate causes.

I hope everyone is doing well and checking out the Ebay auctions for some
of the legitimate causes out there. :)

Laura Baran