From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:49:05 -0500
Errrrrr, it would be appreciated if folks, PLEASE, didn't come out with
comments like "the blonde bimbo".  For some reason people who would never
assume that any given religion, race, culture, sexual orientation, etc.
fits a negative stereotype will never-the-less still come out with comments
on sexual behavior or intelligence which date back to the nastiest bigotry
against Scandinavian immigrants to the U.S.  Yet, the comments are of
exactly the same form and are unpleasant for exactly the same reasons as
those against other groups, so none of the type against ANY grouping really
should be made to be fair to all FML members.  I've been a blonde all my
life -- in various shades depending on age and later on how much white
is slipping in.  Perhaps because I also grew up with people assuming
limitations from my gender (and then later having others assume ridiculous
things due to mixed inheritance when that got known) I am very aware of when
people assume things about any groupings and find them exceedingly
distasteful.  I know that there was absolutely no intention to cause
discomfort, but unless I let people know that this behavior is uncomfortable
and why it hurts folks just won't know why to try to avoid it.

Remember how Seven didn't care about a wet bum before her scent?  Now that
she is chunky and stinky she is very happy to get her feet and belly wet,
but, boy, does she ever hold her bum sky high and dry.

Has anyone noticed that in the last two or so year there seem to be more
mentions of bony tumors?  Now, that may just be coincidence, or it may
simply be from the very large number of ferrets represented here (probably
something over 15,000) so a few mentions can seem like a lot compared to
when there were fewer FML members.  It could even be that there are now so
many people seeking advanced vet care for them for enough years that a
history has been established.  I honestly don't know, just have noticed
that we seem to have those on and off now when they really were pretty much
unheard-of in the past.

One thing we learned years ago when Ruffle was inclined to drink through
fabric is that unless you live in an arid area be CAREFUL about mildew and
mold growth in the wet cloth!  It can take off quite rapidly, especially if
crunchies are also eaten there.