From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 19:39:46 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=1019

[Sukie note: a vet who is used to Florinef and wanted to also learn about
Percorten asked specifics, and a member wanted info as well..]

I also use percortin when needed after removing both adrenal glands.  I
have to agree with Dr Ruth and Dr Karen, it should be giving IM (into a
muscle).  I usually use the muscle on a rear leg.  In an addison's crisis
the most important thing is fluid replacement with IV or SQ NACL 0.9%.
Pred or dexamethasone is also used to help stabilize the ferret.

Jerry Murray, DVM
---

Hmmm.  Like Dr. Purcell, I use Percorten intramuscularly, not
subcutaneously, and have had ferrets responding within one to two days at
the most.  Since it's designed for IM usage, I have to wonder whether the
slow onset of activity and the shorter duration are related to the SC
route of administration.  Something for your vet to think about, perhaps.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.
---

I have a lot of clients that like to keep oral meds for their ferrets at
a minimum.  So, I use 0.15cc/kg Percortin IM every 25-30 days, depending
on the ferret, along with daily pred.  As my clientele builds, I'm having
more and more bilateral ferrets with absolutely no detectable adrenal
function, so this has been my game plan for them.

Hope this helps,
-Dr. Karen