From:
Kimberly Trusty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:20:45 -0500
Hi all, humans and furkids alike

I normally only write when we get a new member or lose one.  But
something I saw last week has caused me great pain and displeasure.  My
father came to visit and as I was needing to buy a small goat we decided
to attend a swap meet held near my home twice a year that has mostly
small farm animals, chickens, birds, etc..  As we strolled through the
huge collection of animals we happened upon a woman with two ferrets in
a cage she was trying to sell.  This woman claimed to be the owner of
a pet store that had gone out of business and was trying to sell her
leftover stock.  She had advertised these two sweeties as breeding stock.
While I tried to appeal to her humane side, pointing out that it was well
above 80 degrees, much too hot for the fuzzies, she proceeded to tell my
husband and father that she was only selling them to pay her electric
bill.  I then decided that she did not have a humane side and explained
to her that it was against the law in our state to sell ferrets for
breeding to just anyone, the purchaser has to have a license to breed
them.  My husband explained to her indignant self that we ran the rescue
shelter here, her reply was that she certainly wasn't going to give them
away, that would not pay her electric bill.  I have never been so mad at
another person of my own race in my life.  As I was attempting to locate
a phone to call for help she was packing her stuff to leave.  I think of
those two little babies every night and worry about what will happen to
them.  It is appalling what some people will do.  I only hope someone
came along after us and bought them.

sincerely
Kim Trusty,Coffee Creek Ferrets