From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:46:50 EDT
I come here to get a better grasp on a condition before comming to a
decision with my vet.... and to get ideas that my vet may not have being
that both here are not super vet savvy. :)  Thank you, for in the past
for helping me so much... every one here with experience and the vets
especially.

I have a rescue MF male, who's estimated age would bring him just about
at four years old.  He has had an enlarged spleen that goes up and down.
I've watched it for a year and my vet has watched it also.  Its been up
very bad however in recent weeks (we had a flu go through the home last
month).  He's been over any cold/flu symptoms... every one has been over
it in fact for almost three weeks.  Yet his spleen is very large.  He
seems almost bloated.  He is very sleepy, more sleepy even than before
but otherwise no other symptoms.

Antibiotic therapy has never been attempted.  So, I was wondering, that
even if he has no other symptoms or has had none in the past besides
fatigue, would this be worth trying?  Would it be worth a go... a round
of antibiotics to see if he's just had some smoldering infection going on
all this time?  If so what would be good and for how long?

If extraction is necessary (boy and what decides that?), does a ferret
truly go on afterwards like nothing has happened as I've read here before?
Would it increase his quality of life, and would it perhaps extend it?
This is important because this is a ferret with past horrible abuses... I
don't want to do surgery on him ever unless those three questions have
very positive answers.  Although contraversial.... you see, I'd rather
him die without the stress and terrifying experience of surgery in hid
particular case, UNLESS...... those three answers make it worth my while.
He is very delicate emotionally.

I know this has been spoken of at length before on this list... But I
surely didn't find direct answers to this exact set of questions for a
similar case.  I wanted to go on and speak to my vet today, and I wanted
to be well informed for him.

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/