From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 10:07:27 CST6CDT
Oops forgot.  The specific identifying symptom is diarrhea that looks like
anti-freeze.  Oh and the smell is very bad too.  ECE is a corona virus and
we need to provide hydration support as well as coating of the tummy and
intestines which is where the Kaopectate and Pepto come in.  Amoxi is given
for secondary infections.  Carafate can be given also but needs to be given
45 minutes to an hour before other meds or feeding.  I've found with our
group they are use to different foods and it was relatively easy to fix up
the special recipes and let them lap them up.  Pedialyte is in every room
they sleep in, in water bottles and bowls, as well as fresh water.  I've
made it as simple as possible for them to drink.  Placing bowls by litter
boxes seems to work well.  When they head for the litter box, they then get
a drink.  I'd like to suggest that others try different recipes on your
critters so if they do get sick they will be easier to feed, both for you
and them.  This has been a life saver in this situation.  For those that
don't want to drink or eat we syringe feed 90cc's per pound per day.
Hugs. tle