From:
Katherine Kuckens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 1996 12:33:52 -0400
Dear Audrey Kaufman,

I am I recent ferret convert and ferret mom.  Although I have two young
sons, it was I who wanted the ferret.  We have had gerbils, mice, rats,
hamsters, chameleons, dogs, cats, etc.  I kinda thought a ferret would be
like a more complicated gerbil.  Wrong!  I had no idea how intelligent,
funny, hilarious, affectionate, and entertaining they could be.  We were
given one by a friend whose son was going away to college, and soon after
adopted two more.  I have never boarded them so I can't answer you on that
one.  Money spent per year would be like a dog or cat that needs to see the
vet at least annually for shots and checkups, as well as prompt visits if
illness is suspected or an accident occurs.  I wouldn't hesitate to take my
darling golden retriever or two cats to the vet, and now the ferrets go too.
The 85 pound golden adores the ferrets.  It takes time, patience and
supervision, but the ferrets trained her well.  The two cats we have each
reacted differently.  One keeps AWAY from the them, and the other constantly
plays with them.  They chase her all over, and she chases them back.  Again,
supervision is the key.  Unlike a dog or cat, I wouldn't leave the ferrets
out when I am not at home.  When I am at home, just around the house, taking
a shower, putting laundry away, surfing the internet......they're out,
keeping me company and making me laugh.  My 11-year-old son plays with them
in his room or lets them help with his homework.  I trust him, but NOT my
5-year-old.  When not being played with or watched, they belong in a nice
clean cage for their safety.  They sleep A LOT anyway.  The ferrets are LESS
destructive than my two boys.  They don't chew but they do steal.  Since
they aren't out at all times, I don't worry about guests.  If I think the
guests can handle it, out come the ferrets.  The ferrets have NO FEAR of any
person or animal.  They will go right in your face and weasel kiss
helloooo!!!  I don't know of any diseases they could give me, but I do know
that my colds and flu could hurt them.  Ferrets can bite if they are
frightened or injured, just like a dog or cat.  When properly handled and
cared for, biting is not a problem.  None of my ferrets have EVER bitten,
even though they were all adopted from places unknown and could have had any
kind of temperament.  Instead they are quite trustworthy, even with small
children, and haven't bitten when startled, hugged too much by a
five-year-old, etc.  They have fought with each other, biting each other,
yet do not then bite me when I separate them.  Amazing.  My ferrets are not
noisy at night.  They do not make a mess in their cages.  Ferrets can have
an odor, although mine are bathed every two weeks, their cages kept clean,
their bedding washed, and they DO use their litter pans.  My girlfirend has
two basset hounds and they STINK UP THE WHOLE HOUSE.  Yet no one notices my
three ferrets until they see them.  I read everything I could find about
ferrets before getting them, so I had my eyes wide open.  There is a lot of
info here that you can download -- it helped me a lot.  Look for the Ferret
FAQs.  I knew it would be ME who cleaned the litter, fed them, washed their
cute little towels and hammocks, etc., so I was prepared.

Sorry this is so long but I thought maybe you could relate to my brief
experience.  Do read up before you take the plunge, and then, be prepared to
be addicted!  .  One fuzzy won't seem like enough.  Two needy ones will just
have to go live with you.  A pet store baby will call your name.  Ferret
math will strike !  !  !

Love,
Kat