From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:28:30 -0700
>From:    Wes Briscoe <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Rabies in humans. (the state of michigan sucks)
>Isn't rabies treatable in humans?

As I understand it, not once symptoms show.  But before symptoms it is
extremely treatable.  The post exposure treatment is the same as the human
vaccine.

>If so, why do so many people fuss over a animal with rabies, since if it
>does on the off chance bite someone and pass the disease over to the "oh so
>precious" human being, then can't that human just go to the doctor and get a
>few shots?

Stated this way which is different, yes.  Rabies is not really considered a
major problem by the CDC as I've been told by Dr Freddie Hoffman.  Way down
the list from things like aids and other communicable diseases.

>Don't animals with rabies die rather quickly anyhow?

Some yes.  Some no.  Ferrets are short lived with rabies in all testing so
far.

>I was curious about how long the longer fur on a ferret should take to grow
>back once being accidentally removed.  Anyone have a idea?

Sometimes until the next seasonal coat change.

>From:    "Monkey, Kona, Mitz, Two, Beezer, & Lucky" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Can't compare ferret National group to AKC
>Can't compare ferret National group to AKC... cos the main reason the
>failed and splintered off is they tried to make AKC certified dogs. Big
>mistake.  Since they don't have the resources to check out all who apply or
>claim this even puppy mills can get this cert.

Well do you mean we can compare and do better in some regards than the AKC?

The AFA already permits the showing of altered animals (unlike the AKC), it
does not force pedigreed animals inly (unlike the AKC) so they did diverge
from the AKC positions on some issues.  But those are show issues only.  The
AKC is the most effective group for power in the dog world.  That should be
emulated by uniting as much as we can of the ferret world.

>So maybe one group isn't so bleak. It can't be that hard to agree on color
>and patterns. Not with a little time and compromise. And a neater name for
>a mutt group so it can be special not embarrassing. Heinz 57 makes
>beautiful specail color and patterns, and should get more credit than mutt.
>IMHO  :)

Wish I could agree.  And don't pick on the mutt classes - they are my
favorite.  I traded a "valuble" English pedigreed breeding jill for the very
most "messed up" mutt I had ever seen.  Thats my boy Pachinko!  I like the
name "mutt class".  The muttier the better!

>From:    Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Marshall Farms suggestion?
>I wonder if MF would take this seriously.

They very well might.  Many in the ferret "community" can talk rationally
with them and they do listen to those people.  Several can not talk
rationally when they let misguided emotions run away with them.

A problem with your suggestion is all the layers in between the final ferret
owner and Marshall Farms.  Marshall Farms doesn't usually place ferrets
directly into pet stores but goes through brokers.  Along the way the pet
stores end up with no clue as to where the ferrets came from.  Getting a
Marshall green card doesn't even mean your ferret is from Marshall.  When
Quality Ferrets pulled their ferrets out of pet stores, the stores tried to
give them Marshall Farms cards.

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: HSUS Change of Opinion

You are of course welcome to see it your own way.  It was said the ferret
folks that went did a good job.  If that is unacceptable to you then there
is nothing that can be done about it.  We will NOT debate the who from the
ferret world could or could not succeed aspect that seems so important to
you with "fresh faces".

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/