From:
Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:02:34 -0400
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for all your input on getting a new friend for Eddie. As
soon as I'm sure he's ok from this latest escapade, I'm going to give
Donna a call.

On to the latest concern: This morning I had just gotten back from a
job interview (ironically at a vet clinic), was checking my email when
I heard Eddie coughing under the bed. I went to check him out and found
him chewing on: a condom. That he got out of the garbage! That I was
*positive* he couldn't get into! I saw him chew and swallow something
before I got to him, and took away half of it, which was all that
appeared to be left. My first thought was "Oh my God, that will never
pass, he's going to need surgery." Called my vet right away (after a
hefty dose of Laxatone anyway), no ferret vets were there today. Called
the emergency clinic, where they seem deliberately clueless about
anything that's not a dog or cat. They told me to give him plenty
of fiber and double his food intake. Hard to do, since he's already
free-fed and eats all he wants, and also they had no answers about how
to get fiber into a ferret. They had me call the Animal Poison Control
hotline, even though it wasn't really a poisoning case (the condom was
non-spermicide). In the middle of the $60 phone call, to my immense
relief, I discovered another large piece of condom under the bed,
telling me he consumed much less than I originally thought. The
operator was glad to hear that, and said to give him canned pumpkin
as a tasty fiber source (I feel like I already knew that for other
animals, but wasn't sure about ferrets) and just watch him closely
for signs of a blockage.

He likes the pumpkin ok but doesn't seem that crazy about the texture
of it. This happened almost three hours ago and so far so good, he has
pooped once but too early for the latex to have made it that far. So
far he is just happy as a clam, doesn't seem lethargic at all, no
vomiting, so I guess I'll just wait and see. Wish us luck, he's a big
healthy boy so hopefully whatever happens he'll come through ok.

Also, I've realized that almost nothing embarrasses me anymore.

Rachel and Eduardo the Incredible Bonehead

p.s. KEEP THAT GARBAGE OUT OF REACH!