From:
Modern Ferret Magazine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 22:25:17 -0500
>From:    Michelle White <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: angora ferrets
>I've seen an ad for Parrots of the World in Modern Ferret magazine, and
>they have the long-haired ferrets pictured in the ad.
>I'm just reporting what I've read, I have no idea if this is completely
>accurate or not.  I'm hoping someone else will have something more
>encouraging to say.  Doesn't anyone on the list own one of these guys?

Being merely human, and using the excuse that another ferret was "required"
for magazine "research" (in other words - a "business" expense) - we took
it upon ourselves to add an angora ferret to our group.

Named "Koosh", he has been a real bundle of extra-furry joy for us.  He is
very playful when awake and he loves to be held when he is asleep.  He's
currently about 4 months old and weighs in at over 3 pounds.  He is still
growing and has some baby fuzz still along with some very long guard hairs
(he has yet to grow in his first coat change).  On page 48 of issue #19
(currently in the mail) you can see a picture of him from about a month ago.

Koosh has been a real help in keeping Knuks and Marshmallow occupied so
that they don't fixate on the loss of Ralph.  His temperment is pretty much
like that of every other kit we've had - lots of play and lots of love have
helped him become a real cuddler.  It's great to let him sleep on your
tummy while watching late night TV.

Koosh's worst habit is his enjoyment of the "flying leap." He likes to jump
off the couch and land as far away from it as possible - with a loud thud
(which has prompted Mary to nickname him "Thud").  He has watched our other
ferrets who all get off the couch gingerly by hanging on with their back
legs to the last second and reaching out with their front paws to break
their fall.  He just likes to thud.

Koosh still likes to annoy Sabrina a lot.  I think that every ferret we
have gotten has taken special delight in annoying Sabrina (she was our
first ferret and for a long time had the whole world to herself before we
started getting more ferrets).  But the two of them love to sleep together.
I think Sabrina already appreciates his extra-fluffy warmness.

Regarding the Critters article:
1. For better information on the history of angoras, contact Parrots of
   the World directly - my personal understanding is that it was a coat
   mutation (just like there are color mutations all the time) that one
   breeder managed to isolate and reproduce.
2. Temperment - Koosh is a great ferret and has not been any more (or less)
   of a handful than any of our other ferrets - play, love, patience, and
   consistent positive reinforcement are key in any pet's development.
3. Show conformation - my concern with ferrets has always been their
   disposition (how well they get along with people) and if they are cute
   (all ferrets are cute) - I've never been concerned with how well they
   would do in a show ring, only how well they do around the house.  I have
   no idea how Koosh would do in a show - I just want him to do good when
   we are out in public and strangers are meeting him.
4. The author of the article is "a freelance writer based in Costa Mesa,
   Calif."  There is no mention of any experience with/about ferrets
   whatsoever.

Koosh is certainly a great ferret - not that one can draw any solid
conclusions from any individual ferret.  We will keep running photos of
him and writing about him as he grows.

On the TV side, for those of you who get Cablevision in the NY, NJ, and CT
area, Mary is scheduled to appear on a segment of the MetroPet show (hosted
by Marc Marrone of Parrots of the World) this Thursday at 8pm on the MSG
Metro Learning Center channel.  It is one of the new MSG Metro channels.

- Eric

Modern Ferret Magazine - For ferret owners. By ferret owners.
Mary & Eric Shefferman & the fuzzies: Sabrina, Marshmallow,
Knuks, Trixie, Bosco da Gama, Balthazar, Cauliflower, and Koosh
http://www.modernferret.com